Cantaloupe (Jumbo Hales Best)
Heaven's Harvest Store
The Jumbo, Hales Best is another traditional favorite. This melon yields large, oval, ribbed fruits with a heavy netting and fine textured orange flesh. It sustains it's sweet flavor longer than most. This cantaloupe also thrives in warm temps and is drought tolerant.
Nearly 100 seeds per pack
- Days to maturity: 90 days.
- Growth: 5-6 lbs, 15-18 height.
- Tips: tart plants indoors, 4-5 weeks before transplanting outdoors. Plant 4-5 seeds in a spot, then space according to area.
- Plant Spacing:
- Row: 36"-72"Plant: 15"-18"
- Planting Depth: 1/2 inch.
- Days to Germination: 4-10 days.
- Days to harvest: 90 days.
All Heaven's Harvest seeds are Heirloom, Open-Pollinated, Non-GMO, Non-Hybid seeds. Each variety is hand-packaged in mylar-foil, resealable bags providing unmatched barrier properties, a flexible surface, and high resistance to punctures. These packages are waterproof, lightproof, and rodent-proof - yikes! And will remain viable for 5-10 years, when stored properly in a cool, dark, and dry location. Most importantly, with nearly 100 seeds per pack, you can begin gardening now and save the remainder for a few years to come!
- Because the flesh of the cantaloupe is often pastel-like in color (compared to the more vibrant color of fruits like oranges), we sometimes forget how important cantaloupe can be as a fruit source of vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids).
- Researchers have recently measured the carotenoid contents of six different California-grown cantaloupe hybrids and discovered that their beta-carotene content can reach levels as high as 3,138 micrograms (per 100 grams of fresh weight).
- That's about 30 times higher than the beta-carotene content of fresh oranges. Although this nutrient richness of cantaloupe still does not place it in the beta-carotene range for fresh carrots here (about 8,300 micrograms), it's still an aspect of this delicious fruit that is all-too-frequently overlooked.
- Source: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=17