Cantaloupe (Jumbo Hales Best)
Heaven's Harvest Store
The Jumbo, Hales Best is another traditional favorite. This melon yields large, oval, ribbed fruits with a heavy netting and fine textured orange flesh. It sustains it's sweet flavor longer than most. This cantaloupe also thrives in warm temps and is drought tolerant.
- Days to maturity: 90 days.
- Growth: 5-6 lbs, 15-18 height.
- Tips: tart plants indoors, 4-5 weeks before transplanting outdoors. Plant 4-5 seeds in a spot, then space according to area.
- Plant Spacing:
- Row: 36"-72"Plant: 15"-18"
- Planting Depth: 1/2 inch.
- Days to Germination: 4-10 days.
- Days to harvest: 90 days.
- Because the flesh of the cantaloupe is often pastel-like in color (compared to the more vibrant color of fruits like oranges), we sometimes forget how important cantaloupe can be as a fruit source of vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids).
- Researchers have recently measured the carotenoid contents of six different California-grown cantaloupe hybrids and discovered that their beta-carotene content can reach levels as high as 3,138 micrograms (per 100 grams of fresh weight).
- That's about 30 times higher than the beta-carotene content of fresh oranges. Although this nutrient richness of cantaloupe still does not place it in the beta-carotene range for fresh carrots here (about 8,300 micrograms), it's still an aspect of this delicious fruit that is all-too-frequently overlooked.
- Source: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=17